Week 2: Contemplating the Life and Call of Jesus -- Day 10 (Monday June 4)

I so much want the truth of Jesus' life to be fully the truth of my own that I find myself, moved by grace... [asking] to following Jesus Christ in the most intimate union possible, that his experiences are reflected in my own. In that, I find my delight (Spiritual Exercises 167).

We may find it helpful at this time of the retreat when we might discover some attachment... or when we are not indifferent to pverty and riches, to come to Jesus our Lord in prayer and beg him to choose us to serve him.... We should beg with a certain insistence, and should plead for it -- but always wanting what God wants for us (Spiritual Exercises 157).

Jesus is truly amazing! Last day we read the story of Jesus temptation in the desert, but did you ever ask the question why he resisted? Did you ever asak the question how he resisted? The answer to both questions of course is his love for you and me. Today our focus is to appreciate and love and depth of faith that guided Jesus in the decisions of his life.

Using Composition of Place read and reflect on the following passage:

Luke 4: 14-21
Matthew 16:21-26.

Questions to Reflect On:
  1. What are the costs to me of being a disciple of Jesus on a daily basis?
  2. What have been the major decisions of my life?
  3. Has love for others, for God, for myself been a significant motivation in my major decisions in the past? How so?
  4. In taking a few moments to reflect on my style of decision making (impulsive? procrastinator? collaborative? etc) and how it affects others, what might be Jesus trying to tell me?

No comments: